Wireless Digital Video:Diversity Plus
From Wireless Digital Video
Wireless Digital Video has developed a diversity receiver solution for those who wish maximum performance while receiving digital video from WiDV equipment.
- WiDV Diversity+ has a huge advantage compared with traditional video analog diversities. Traditional video analog diversities use a processing technique based on switching, where the receiver basically commutes between antennas based on received signal power. Some of these diversities also loose video signal when the antenna switching is happening.
- WiDV Diversity+ uses a processing technique based on combining all received video signals simultaneously. Incoming video signals are being processed in parallel on all receivers at the same time, building what we call the diversity network. All these signals are concurrently combined on all receivers trying to reconstruct the original video signal. At Wireless Digital Video we call this Diversity+ because the final video signal is the addition of all the signals received by each of the receivers that are connected to the diversity network.
- Only WiDV Two professional receivers have support for Diversity+. Check the product version comparison page for details.
- 1 x WiDV Two professional receiver.
- 2 x Wireless adapters
This is all included on the WiDV Two Professional dual kit from the online shop.
- Plug both wireless adapters into the receiver (figure1).
- A new diversity signal level indicator will appear on the bottom menu bar. This indicator is useful to get an idea of which of the receivers has better signal quality.
- Remember that both wireless adapters are working at the same time so it is important trying to keep all antennas on line-of-sight with your WiDV transmitter.
- A good set-up for long range video transmissions is to use one 5dbi omnidirectional antenna on one wireless adapter and a directional patch antenna of high gain on the other adapter. When the transmitter is close to you, the omnidirectional antenna will provide better signal coverage than the directional one and as your transmitter goes further away, the directional antenna will start to have better signal than the omnidirectional one.
Diversity+ with 2 or more receivers
- It is possible to connect any number of receivers into an Ethernet diversity network. If you are interested in a more advanced configuration with several receivers, please do not hesitate to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.